9.16.2013

Guest Post | Back East Blonde

Good morning, lovies!  Today's post is a guest post from the lovely Nadine from Back East Blonde!  As far as I know this is her first beauty post and I couldn't be more excited to have her on my blog today!  Take it away, Nadine!


Hi, I'm Nadine and I blog over at Back East Blonde. When I'm not making random observations about pop culture, like standing up for Miley, or spilling too much in some late night confessionals, I'm working for a non-profit, scouring Pinterest for new vegetarian recipes, and cuddling with my fur-child, Archie.

Kristina reached out to me and asked me how I felt about looking into cruelty-free products. It seemed like the natural progression for me to start looking for cruelty products to replace my existing products.

Here are all the products I used to use and the ones I swapped them out for:
Makeup - Not Cruelty Free


1. Foundation

I swapped out the Revlon ColorStay foundation in Normal/Dry Skin for Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour foundation. My skin is generally dry but I randomly get occasional acne and both of these products don't break me out, which is great. The Tarte doesn't do quite as well on my dry skin (I think flakiness shows up quicker) but it feels a lot less makeupy on my face, which I love. Both of these products are made to last the whole day and they do. With a good moisturizer, the Tarte is a great replacement for the Revlon. I apply it with my new EcoTools brush, which I've found is a lot better than dragging a sponge across dry skin.

2. Concealer

One of my biggest fears when changing products was that I wouldn't find an under eye concealer that I loved as much as Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Treatment Concealer (not pictured). Enter NYX concealer. This stuff is alarmingly thick, which intimidated me at first but it also means that it can cover nearly anything! It reminds me of dermablend, which I've tested before at Ulta and can be used for covering tattoos. It's that intense and works like a charm under tired eyes.

3. Blush

This is the part where I fall all over myself with excitement. This NYX Illuminator in Chaotic is my favorite beauty product I've found in the last year. It. Is. Gorgeous. It looks a little shimmery in the package but the shimmer isn't too obnoxious on. It's a soft coral/pink and achieves a similar effect as Nars Orgasm (which I'm way too cheap to ever buy). Buy this.

4. Eyes

I've replaced my usual Covergirl Perfect Point eyeliner with my Naked 2 pallette. I got this pallette as a Christmas gift and recently realized that I can use the dark shades to tightline my upper lash line. Since this is easier than eyeliner, I'm all for it! I've also been adding a bit more shadow recently as well but I prefer the matte shades so I don't look too made up.

5. Lips

The NYX Butter Gloss in Eclair is the PERFECT shade of pale pink. I search and searched and have finally found it! I previously was using a few different shades of the Rimmel lipsticks, which I do love. The Rimmel lipsticks aren't particularly moisturizing but they last a long time and the colors look natural on my skin tone. The NYX Butter Gloss is smooth but not sticky and as you wear it, it starts to feel more and more like a lip balm and less like a gloss. It's perfection and even smells a little sweet but has no flavor. I gave the NYX lipsticks a shot and haven't found a shade I loved but they are pretty moisturizing but fail to last too long.

Cruelty-free Full Face Makeup


I have yet to find a mascara that I think is worthy of replacing my L'oreal Telescopic mascara. I had just bought a tube when Kristina approached me and I always continue to use my mascara well after I should have replaced it. This tube still has a long life left. Any suggestions for a really great mascara to replace this one?

Overall I've loved finding products that are kinder to animals. My only dilemma is that it's made me start to think about all of the other products I use: my lotions, sunscreens, shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, etc. It would be challenging to replace all of those at once (and expensive!) so I'm slowly going to replace those but I won't beat myself up about occasionally buying a product that isn't listed as cruelty free. It is something I will strive toward and continue to be conscious of.

No comments

Show some love

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I would love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment and I will get back to you just as soon as I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...