6.27.2013

To the garbage you go | Misc.


Hello and welcome to the third installment of my series called to the garbage you go!  Today's post will be all about my miscellaneous products. If you missed my first two, you can view them here and here.  I've already mentioned a few of the companies below on my other post but I am going to talk about them again.


First up, L'Oreal.  This brand is terrible for testing on animals and owns a whole list of companies that do it, too.  But guess what?  It is the WORLDS LARGEST cosmetics and beauty brand!!  Why are so many people shopping this horrible company?  Doing so, you are contributing to their horrible practices!  Okay, enough of an angry rant, let's carry on.

Here is a list of companies L'Oreal owns (I will be avoiding these companies at all costs and I hope you will join me):

Professional Products: 
  • L'Oréal Professionnel, including ARTec and Innate
  • Kérastase (created by L'Oreal in 1964)
  • Kéraskin Esthetics, created by L'Oreal in 2007 and specializing in skin care professionals.
  • Redken 5th Avenue NYC, founded by Paula Kent and Jheri Redding in 1960 and acquired by L'Oreal in 1993.
  • Matrix Essentials, founded by Arnie Miller in 1980 and acquired by L'Oreal in 2000.
  • Mizani, founded in 1991 and bought by L'Oreal in 2001.
  • PureOlogy Research, founded in 2001 and acquired by L'Oreal in 2007.
  • Shu Uemura Art of Hair

L'Oreal Luxe:
  • Lancôme
  • Yves Saint Laurent
  • Giorgio Armani
  • Biotherm
  • Cacharel
  • Diesel
  • Maison Martin Margiela
  • Viktor & Rolf
  • Ralph Lauren
  • Kiehl's
  • The Body Shop
  • Shu Uemura
  • Stella McCartney
  • Clarisonic
  • Paloma Picasso
  • Drakkar noir
  • Urban Decay

Consumer Products:
  • L’Oréal Paris
  • Ombrelle
  • Garnier
  • Maybelline
  • SoftSheen-Carson
  • Le Club des Créateurs de Beauté
  • Essie

Active Cosmetics:
  • Vichy
  • La Roche Posay
  • Inneov
  • Skinceuticals
  • Roger & Gallet
  • Sanoflore

Magic Smooth Soufflé: 512 Classic Ivory

This foundation has a creamy, whipped texture.  It did nothing good for my dry skin, it just "pilled" up and looked all cakey.  The packing is nice in the glass jar and it smells like chocolate, but I don't know why you'd want something on your face to smell like that...


Maybelline as I told you above is owned by L'Oreal, thus making it a bad animal testing brand.  I don't have much else to say on the matter.

Mission: "Maybelline New York is a division of the global cosmetics company, L’Oreal. L’Oreal is a leader in developing alternative methods to animal testing with the ultimate goal of eliminating all animal testing completely. In1989 L’Oreal voluntarily stopped using animal testing for the evaluation of its entire range of finished products. The company has invested $800 million over the last 25 years to develop innovative , alternative methods to animal testing, particularly in the area of reconstructed tissue development. We are totally committed to a future without tests on animals."

All I can say is: WHAT?!  L'Oreal is a leader in non animal testing methods?  Are you seriously going with this?  Oh my god, my mind is completely boggled by this!  Hahaha!  Good one, Maybelline, good one.  It's your mission statement because you clearly haven't achieved this goal.


This mascara was good at separating and adding length.  I didn't wear it much at all because it wasn't great, plus I was converting my collection into cruelty-free brands around that time so I let it sit there.


Next, CoverGirl is a company owned by the huge household brand Proctor & Gamble.  CoverGirl is a company I never really much cared for, in my opinion their products are just okay.

Early History: "In 1963, model (and later, actress) Jennifer O'Neill signed on as CoverGirl spokeswoman at the age of sixteen, appearing in both print and television advertising that year.  Her unprecedented thirty-year endorsement of the product catapulted CoverGirl into the top-selling makeup line in the country.

Cybill Shepherd was one of CoverGirl's earliest models, appearing in several print and television advertisements for the brand. In contrast to the "made-up" looking fashion models of the late 1960s, Cybill demonstrated a fresh, wholesome look, appealing to a younger consumer's taste. These advertisements established the "girl-next-door" look that CoverGirl would become associated with.

CoverGirl's first product line, Clean Makeup, launched in 1961. It was nominated America's best cosmetic brand. Originally offering only six products, it was advertised as being a "medicated face makeup" as it used Noxzema's medicated ingredients of camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus. Sales of the line increased during 1985 due to an advertising campaign featuring supermodel Christie Brinkley. Brinkley's major projects in the 1990s included a short-lived talk show on CNN.  The liquid foundation and pressed powder of the line are still in production."
CoverGirl Cheekers: Natural Rose

This blush is probably the very first makeup item that I purchased and so I've never had the heart to throw it away...until now!  It does have a pleasant scent that is not over powering and it has nice pigmentation, but they must go.


Avon is a company that you could order only through a catalog or an independent sales consultant.  Avon (as of 2012) is the fifth largest beauty company and second largest direct selling enterprise in the world.  They also sell in China.  Bad news.

Mission: "To be the company that best understands and satisfies the product, service and self-fulfillment needs of women globally. Our dedication to supporting women touches not only beauty—but health, fitness, self-empowerment and financial independence."

Avon Mosaic Effects: Black top coat

I was immediately not much of a fan of this polish.  The crackle is nothing special, it goes on in weird patches.  Not a fan and that's probably a good thing since I'm getting rid of it.


Lastly, we have Sally Hansen Natural Beauty which was inspired by Carmindy who was the make up artist from What Not To Wear.  Unfortunately, it's from Sally Hansen who is also a terrible brand for testing on animals.

About: "Natural beauty, enhanced. A new collection of paraben-free natural beauty products that will highlight every woman's unique look. A full range of products and shades will make you look your best, naturally."

Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Natural Powder Blush: Ethereal

I am so sad that I have to get rid of this.  I loved this blush so much!  The packaging is adorable and it doesn't feel cheap, I love the leaf on the lid.  It has a very nice smell, I'm not sure from what, but it's nice.  Plus, it has slight glitter that looked nice on the cheek.  Damnit, Carmindy, why couldn't it be cruelty-free?


That is my whole collection of non cruelty-free items, so this is the last segment of to the garbage you go.  I hope this has helped show you which brands are not animal friendly and why I am so passionate about this topic.  And it has never been my intention to bad mouth these companies, they would be great ones if they would just fix their ways and stop the testing.  I would love for all of us to stop giving our money to these terrible companies and to start supporting cruelty-free ones that care about animals as much as I do.  I also bet that if you looked around you would find some local cruelty-free brands, too.  So, please don't think this kind of change is restricting because it's really not.  There are so many options out there if you open your eyes to them and look out for either of the bunny of approval logos.  Let's work together in stopping unnecessary animal testing and getting everyone more aware of the bad brands.

PS - I know it all sounded kind of repetitive and for that I am sorry.  I did say companies and brands a lot but there are only so many ways you can say that. ;)  Forgive me?

Thanks for reading!

Google Friend Connect goes away on Monday July, 1st.  Stay caught up by following me via Bloglovin'.

No comments

Show some love

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I would love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment and I will get back to you just as soon as I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...